Some fun facts on Brewers All-Stars Burns and Hader
By JERRY TAPP
Barring any last-minute injuries and roster replacements, it looks like the Milwaukee Brewers will have two representatives to the National League All-Star team: pitchers Josh Hader and Corbin Burnes. Here are 10 stats you need to know about Brew Crew pitchers who have been selected (and played in) the All-Star Game.
1, This is Hader’s fourth selection. This is the second time Burnes has been selected. Hader ties Ben Sheets for the most All-Star Game selections for a Brewers pitcher. The only other Brewers pitcher selected to three of more All-Star Games is Dan Plesac. Burnes becomes the fourth Milwaukee pitcher selected to the ASG twice (joining Rollie Fingers, Francisco Rodriguez and Brandon Woodruff).
2. Plesac is the only Brewers pitcher to be selected to three straight All-Star Games. If you consider that there was no All-Star Game in 2020, you could say that Josh Hader has been selected to four straight ASG (2018, 2019, 2021, 2022)
3. No Brewers pitcher has ever been the winning pitcher in an ASG. A Brewers hurler has twice lost the game: Rollie Fingers in 1981 and Corbin Burnes last year. There have been no saves for a Brewers pitcher in the ASG.
4. Brewers pitchers have allowed nine earned runs in 25 total innings pitched in the ASG, a 3.24 ERA.
5. Two pitchers, Ben Sheets in 2008 and Freddy Peralta in 2021 have struck out three batters in a single game All-Star Game appearance, most for any Brewers pitcher in an ASG.
6. Two Brewers pitchers have pitched three innings in a single ASG appearance: Lary Sorensen did it in 1978; Teddy Higuera did it in 1986.
7. The first Brewers pitcher to appear in an All-Star Game was Lary Sorensen in ’78.
8. There have been 24 different Brewers pitchers who have been selected to an All-Star team. Of those 24, 16 pitched in the game.
9. Four different Milwaukee pitchers have allowed a home run in an ASG appearance: Rollie Fingers (1981), Francisco Cordero (2007), Josh Hader (2018) and Corbin Burnes (2021)
10. Burnes and Hader became the seventh set of Brewers pitchers selected to the ASG in the same year. Here’s the list:
2004: Ben Sheets/Dan Kolb
2006: Derrick Turnbow/Chris Capuano
2007: Ben Sheets/Francisco Cordero
2018: Jeremy Jeffress/Josh Hader
2019: Josh Hader/Brandon Woodruff
2021: Brandon Woodruff/Josh Hader/Freddy Peralta/Corbin Burnes
2022: Josh Hader/Corbin Burnes